Skip to main content

How Covid-19 has affected me


I'm 49 years old about to turn 50 in December 2020 and I am in good health.  I live in Richmond, Virginia. I don't have Covid-19 and I pray that I never get it.  I am an artist and writer and started Back Talk a few days ago.  I am renting a room in a care home called Achilles Healing House.  Over a few months ago one of the ladies that run this home tested positive for Covid-19.  She only worked here part time because she has a full time job.  Richmond Community Hospital down the street would not test us because we weren't showing any symptoms and my primary care doctor's office does not test patients.  They called me and recommended 3 facilities that perform the tests but I never went.  I'm not showing any symptoms.

I just called my brother last night and he told me one of our friends had died from Covid-19 and that he, my brother, felt that a lot of Black people are not taking the disease seriously. Fortunately I have not run into any other problems there is a grocery store and Family Dollar nearby.   If I go to Walmart I take an Uber which now requires it's riders to wear a mask or no ride.  I try not to forget my mask when I go out.  

It seems like the news channels like CNN and MSNBC are only reporting on Covid-19 and little else.  This pandemic has really hit the US and many countries very hard.  It has affected our economy and because so many businesses had to closed unemployment is thru the roof.  I get a social security check.  That is another story and so far my check has not been affected or discontinued.  That has always been my fear that it would be somehow cut and I would be left with little income.  That is why I am working so hard to get my business off the ground.

According to the New York Times there is a reported 4 millon reported cases in the USA alone.  That is unbelievable.  I don't think the Corona virus is going away any time soon.  I think we are going to have deal with this like the AIDS epidemic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Back Talk by Derrick W. Jackson

Welcome to Back Talk this is a Blog that covers Politics in the USA.  My personal take on today's stories.

John Lewis a Civil Rights Icon Passes Away

John Lewis dedicated his life to service from civil rights to serving in the House for the state of Georgia since the 80's.  During a time when their was a real struggle for civil rights in the Black Community, Lewis was a champion for the cause.  He was a Freedom Rider and the last surviving member of the "Big Six" organizer and speaker at the March on Washington where Martin Luther King gave his famous "I Have a Dream" speech. Yesterday John Lewis's body was driven over the Edmund Pettus Bridge where "Bloody Sunday" happened when police attacked protesters 55 years ago who were marching to Selma, Alabama. John Lewis's life is a testimony of what Black America should aspire to.  As a young man in the 60's he lived the civil rights struggle.

Officer not Charged in Jacob Blake Case

  Back in August 2020, Jacob Black, a young Black man was shot in the back 7 times by a Police Officer.  The police were there  concerning a prior offense by Blake. Today, Jan 5., 2021 Michael Graveley the Kenosha, Wisconisn, District Attorney decided not to file charges against that police officer, whose name is Rusten Shesky.  All this as reported in the New York TImes. How many times will a shooting like this happen before there is real change?  The police need to be reformed but can they teach restraint in the heat of the moment?   Officers are to protect and serve but they have a right to preserve there own life.  However they do not have a right to shoot and kill or maim our Black men.  Police need to do more to reach out to the Black community.  To all communities.  Its not good that your first real encounter with the police should be when you've may have done something wrong and you get arrested. I know first hand how hard police officers work.  They work long hours with li